SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cats39

For those whose Pole Beans didn't flower!

cats39
13 years ago

I Posted the following on August the 10th after having similar problems to the thread of July 18 2010 : Blue Lake pole beans not flowering;

I live in Upstate Central New York State z5 and planted my Romano Italian Pole Beans (by transplant as I always do) on Memorial Day Weekend.

I have the most fantastic looking vines any Gardner would envy, and "Jack" would die for. Problem as above "No Flowers", "No Beans". First time ever that's happened and we have had a pretty hot summer with many days in the 90's.

I'm ready to start cutting down as the vines are so long, I would not be surprised in the 12' or more foot length that they are stressing out my pole and string system to the point getting ready to crash to the ground.

As from this post it sounds like the heat may be the cause. It's to bad we love beans and tomatoes in oil. And of course for the second year we've got the blight on tomatoes. But at least we'll have tomatoes till September. END .....................................

When I realized the beans were looking like they werenÂt going to flower or produce I made a decision to give them one more week and then pull the vines out. But before I did I checked out TGW and found others were having similar pole bean problems and blaming it on the heat.

I in turn agreed with those who felt that way as we have had more 90 degree days this summer than weÂve had in the past 10 summerÂs. Everyday my flowers as well as vegetables looked stress so I watered more than usual.

But now IÂm beginning to realize of all the wilting going on with peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, hanging plants, ground plants etc., each day the pole beans were always healthy looking and the most thriving. I said to others the only thing thatÂs growing are the beans. But during the stress what does one do?

Water, and I watered everything almost daily or every other day even the beans. But the only thing I noticed was the vines on the beans were growing bigger and bigger but no flowering.

About two weeks ago I stopped watering them. It didnÂt make sense to continue. A few days later I did the Forum search. The other day I went to start pulling and I looked up and saw a flower and then another. Now a few days later I have flowering and bean growth.

My only common sense tells me (if I could possibly be right is), that all during the heat period the watering helped the vines grow and grow and grow, telling them it wasnÂt time to flower. Is it possible I was just watering them to much. I know it sounds crazy but I canÂt think of anything else as the weather has continued to be warm and hot and sunny over the past two weeks with only one day that was average and bearable.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!