SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lingon

Mature pole beans cut off near bottom

lingon
12 years ago

I have about 40 6ft tall pole bean plants, have had great success with them for about 10 years.

In the last two days something has chopped off the bottom, starting about 3 inches off the ground, removing maybe 2 inches of vine and leaving the rest. Some of these vines are up to pencil thickness and are a little 'woody'. They have killed 15 plants so far, all of them at the first 2 feet of the row. Yesterday morning it seemed like the biggest vines were left alone, this morning, all of them in that side were gone. I tried sprinkling the ground with red pepper, but that didn't seem to deter the critter.

Beans are my main crop, since I have black walnut issues, and this is a huge blow to have it destroyed. The beans already had trouble with our super hot summer, and were just starting to recover.

One of my swiss chard plants nearby has also had all its leaves cut off, closer to the ground, and leaves left behind. Again, a mature plant.

My garden is fenced - wire mesh on bottom, deer netting up to 6 feet. Rabbits do not get in, as far as I have seen. Mice and squirrels do. I don't know how the squirrels get in anymore, I filled in all the holes I saw them go through, but they could probably go over the top.

1. Would you say this is squirrel damage, mouse/vole damage, or some really big bug?

2. Other than trapping the squirrels or putting up an electric fence, how can I keep the squirrels from destroying my bean crop?

3. What size hole can squirrels go through? If I decide to fence the top as well, do I need to switch to metal fencing all the way around, since they can chew through anything else?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living