SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
delawaredonna

Newbie Here with pic

DelawareDonna
10 years ago

Hi Hostanistas -I've been lurking around for awhile, and I'm fascinated with your knowledge, passion and devotion to your hosta collections as you seek the latest and greatest. I love the photos (do your hosta get a bath before a photo shoot?

I live in an active retirement community. Years ago they installed a walking path around the perimeter of the community creating an unsightly island (filled with weeds and a few other sad, straggly azaleas and forthysia bushes along with a lilac bush that never bloomed) under a canopy of trees forty feet from my front door.

Four years ago, I rescued two hostas that were planted behind a park bench and one of my own continuing to clean up an area whose soil is riddled with roots and stones. I received permission from the grounds committee to create a small hosta garden for the residents to enjoy at my expense. Three years ago I started planting. It was difficult digging holes, and I just plopped them into the ground and filled in with the existing soil.

Last year the committee removed the stragglers on the right side of the garden. The two year plants are going great. This year I've planted 11 new hostas: Dream Queen, Dancing Queen, Devon Green, ADG, Orange Marmalade, Linda Sue, Independence, Revolution, Golden Tiara, and Royal Standard. Looking forward to next year.

The hostas get morning sun, and always point in that direction. The island has a small downward slope. I've planted some astilbe, daylilies and ajuga, also.

Lucky for me - no deer, no voles, no slugs, few insects - not so lucky with the bird poop, though.

The hosta are not spaced closely. They stay were they lay. I'm too old to divide and conquer.

Comments (20)