SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbaker699

First time indoor garden, reasonable MH setup

jbaker699
10 years ago

Hi all,

First time poster, but I've gone through a handful of threads here on indoor gardening and appropriate lighting (many of which include amusing exchanges), read a book on it, and looked through various other internet resources. At this point I feel like I might have most of the lingo down, but...still really don't know what I'm talking about.

As much as I hate to say it, my intention is to start with a handful of tomato plants in the basement as a bit of an experiment, so I'm inclined to at least begin with something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

My question is, am I going to put myself in a poor position by going with a system like this: http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-GLK400GW19-Digital-Dimmable/dp/B004YXDHX6/ref=sr_1_4?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1376461642&sr=1-4&keywords=mh+system+400w

It seems to be much lower cost than many of the other systems (or single components) that I've seen, but the ballast is electric, it includes both MH and HPS lights (though those may be throwaway quality and need to be replaced), and, importantly for me, seems to be easy to set up.

Anyone have any thoughts either way? Would love to have a few sun sugar cherry tomato plants indoors, but not sure that I can justify spending $300+ on it.

Thanks all,

JB

Comments (7)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm