SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
i_like_to_grow

In need of some noobie knowledge

i-like-to-grow
13 years ago

Okay so I'm really getting into this hosta thing... and I'm kindly OCD about wanting my hosta to look perfect... and I realize mother nature is a pain sometimes and nothing is ever perfect... but anyways just some easy questions here.... I'm not taking the time for pictures unless somebody would like to see them...

Just to give you an idea of what kinda weather we have had since early spring...

Early spring started off really warm and rainless... I live two hours north of Nashville, TN... we were 10 inches short on average rainfall before the epic flood... which brought 10 inches of rain in less than 2 days... I managed to water my hosta to life... but then came the flood... our yard didn't flood and hold much water...but still... 10 inches of rainfall...my hosta were actually looking decent... but we had like two weeks of gloomy weather after the flood... nothing really has dried out much here... If it weren't for digging and bleaching I would've lost some to petiole rot... the slugs were terrible... I managed to control them with an iron phosphate bait... most of my hosta have been eat on a little... but nothing like last year when I didn't have a clue...we're just now starting to get some good sunshine...even though its been humid and we've had 20-50% chance of rain and thunderstorms everyday...

I have the standard mulch fungus... the stuff you get with most box store mulch during humid weather... dog puke fungus... little mushrooms and such... but my petioles all seem to be strong and not rotting... another note would be that I've moved practically ever hosta around so that its position would suit me... these were planted last year and I had no idea really how they would mature...so they might be suffering some stress from that...

My main concerns would be an abundance of dessication on the lower leaves of my albomarginatas... some on the lower leaves of my other mound forming hosta but none near as bad as the king of slouch...

...the slug damage seems to be dessicating or browning/graying around the edges... is this normal? or could there possibly be a fungus present?

.... some of my honeybells seem to be showing a loss of color in spots... kindly a silvering..looks like frostburn is showing its face?

.....some of my honeybells have some small white dead patches in them....what could this be?

Don't get me wrong... I'm not insanely worried... I realize most of my hostas in these beds are a dime a dozen... and I haven't had them years... just curious as to what some more experienced gardeners may have to say about the plant issues I look at when I look at my hosta closely...

Comments (6)