SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

Lost Most Beard Iris Rhizomes this Year

I have two beds of tall beard iris. They are mature beds and crowded with rhizomes. They are over-due for digging and dividing.

But this spring, they did not come up much and did not bloom. The iris borers got them.

Since BIs are so relatively trouble free, I've not paid much attention over the past ten years. Never any problems. I believe I saw some sawdust type substance last year and that could be iris borers. Over the winter, I did not rake the mulch and leaves.

Anyhow, I just dug out the remaining iris rhizomes from the beds. Whatever remains are the very young shoots from the damaged rhizomes. Most of the rhizome roots are gone. I cut away the rotten part, soak the rhizomes in bleach. I've planted most of them and will replant the rest.

This spring, I think the borers may come back and I plan to spray. I believe after the rhizomes grow stronger and I clean the beds regularly, I may not need to spray next year. For about nine years, the BIs did very well.

The new plants may not bloom well, but they should be able to catch up very quickly.

Comments (12)

Sponsored