SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mkiker

any concensus on 'plant and aquarium' light bulbs?

mkiker
16 years ago

I've noticed that true grow bulbs are hard to find. Major chain stores and hardware shops often have plant and aquarium bulbs and the price can be rather low so I've bought a few. The ones I've tried are GE and Phillips. The GE seemed to be much whiter than the Phillips which had a mild purple hue but both are very close.

I know many people here say screw it and buy more cheap lights but are these good as a compromise, or where you only have so much space so more lights won't work. Both packages say they are rich in blue and red for optimum plant growth.

I'm also confused because research on the net is contradictory. Some places claim that plants want a full spectrum, others say the spectrum isn't important and then some say that you'd be better off just using a laser pointer. Then information from Sylvania said that the Gro-Lux wasn't as good as the gro-lux wide spectrum because the spectrum was too narrow, but all they seem to sell is the standard. It gets very complicated fast if you think too deeply about it.

Right now I'm using an off brand wide spectrum (very purple hue) and a plant and aquarium light. I hope the two will do fine.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio