SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bloomingtoninbloom

Old, Inherited, non-blooming Irises

bloomingtoninbloom
17 years ago

Hi,

IÂm a complete novice as regards to irises so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I moved into a new house this year. The previous owners were quite elderly and hadnÂt actively gardened for many years. Around two cement embedded clothesline poles were many smallish iris fronds growing in the lawn. Since I had to remove the poles (and knowing nothing about transplanting irises) in late spring I dug out the rhizomes and buried them in a newly created raised bed. Unfortunately, I now realize that I planted them far too deeply.

The foliage looks fine but these irises didnÂt bloom in the spring and according to the neighbors have not bloomed for many, many years. Do you think that I should try digging them up and replanting them at the correct depth or just give up on them? Do any irises, especially older varieties, just get to the point where they have been so neglected that they wonÂt bloom without Herculean effort? Also, I have no idea what any flowers on these irises may look like if they ever do bloom.

I ordered a new shipment of irises from SchreinerÂs so if I trash these rhizomes IÂm not giving up on irises completely. I just donÂt want to waste a lot of time, effort, and garden space if the rhizomes are "played out".

Thanks

Comments (9)

Sponsored