SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njiris

Presby Update

njiris
18 years ago

I know some folks were wondering what was going on at Presby, and I promised an update today.

Today I visited and found the following.

It appears that there was vandalism on two separate days: first they attacked a mature bed, and could not pull the rhizomes out; however damage was done by chopping off the leaves down to the rzs. They came back the following week and attacked two newly planted historic beds doing greater damage. about 175 rhzs were ripped out and tossed about. Some were deliberately mangled and some were not.

All have been replanted in a new 'unknown' bed, awaiting bloom and identification. Most can be replaced either by others in the garden or are commercially available.

The few that are not, we will have to see if they bloom in the unknown bed next year. Perhaps we can find some private sources. There is a $ 1,000 reward (I think being offered by an anonymous friend of Presby) for the capture of the guilty parties. So if you see the 'iris killer' lurking in your iris beds, you know what to do. It is generally believed there were more than one perpetrator.

Damage was done at night or early morning before dawn.

They left nothing behind except a can of beer.

The community support and publicity has been overwhelming. There has been much press coverage. Montclair is a place where there is a great deal of community pride.

Hopefully this will wake up and challenge the community to the point that this behaviour will not be tolerated.

I think what happened at Presby is not unusual. It seems like a universal fact: where there is beauty, be it art, nature, or whatever, there are always a few who will destroy it for the sheer joy of seeing it destroyed.

I am angry but I also feel sorry for them; that inside they are so full of hate and low esteem that they vent their frustrations on the good things in life.

Presby will not be defeated by this act of violence. It would be a sad state of affairs if the iris were locked up behind an iron fence, to be guarded from the very community that once created it out of love.

I believe Presby will be restored, bigger and better than before.

As things progress, I will keep you updated.

Laetitia

Comments (8)

• laurief_gw
    18 years ago

Laetitia,

Thank you for the update. You know that if Presby needs anything from my garden, it's theirs for the asking.

Has Presby considered installing surveillance cameras around the gardens? That way the gardens could be left open to the public to enjoy while also providing a certain amount of deterrent to vandals and ability of law enforcement to arrest those commiting vandalous acts.

Laurie

• njiris
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Laurie:
    Thanks for the offer. I don't know what exactly is needed, but we'll have to see what is left and what is really gone.
    Maybe next year keep Presby in mind if you have excess rhizomes to give away.
    As for the lights, I haven't heard anyone mention it. Sounds like a great idea, particularly with a surveillance camera. Probably would cost alot of money, but I'll pass on the suggestion to the Iris Committee.
    Laetitia

• littlebit_gw
    18 years ago

Thanks for the update. It's a pity that some folks have nothing better to do than destory all of those lovely irises. Hopefully someone will come forward with the names of those involved. Sooner or later someone will talk they always do. It would be nice also if whoever turned them in would donate the money back to the gardens.

littlebit

• iris_gal
    18 years ago

I hope the guilty people are caught. And do a Lot of community service!

• shilty
    18 years ago

Latitia - please post where we can send iris stock for Presby. I grew several antiques, and still have some...I would be glad to donate to the cause...

Sounds like the 'mature' bed is ok, merely to be identified at bloom. But if they need stock, I will be happy to help there too.

Let us know...

Shilty

• njiris
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the offers of help. I will be talking to JoAnne the Garden Superintendant, and if she needs more rhizomes this season, I will let everyone know.
    Laetitia

• bgaylene52
    18 years ago

Ah, yes, community service. What distasteful garden chores could we come up with for the culprits? How about 1,000 hours of bore-squashing?

• Elizabethtown
    18 years ago

Oh...that's a good one! Detention with the borers! Could you see the movie of the week with that one? LOL.

Sponsored