SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irisawe

Trading or private purchasing?

irisawe
17 years ago

I am new to the forum this year. My original few iris were purchased from Comanche Acres last fall after visiting them that Spring. This year I have purchased about 150 different cultivars and have spent countless hours online researching iris. They are newly planted and purchased from Cooley's, Schreiners, Snowpeak, Willowbend, Sandhollow, Blue J, Iris Farm, Rainbow Iris. My frustration is finding after placing an order as early as March that some cultivars are "out of stocked" on my orders. I do not want substitutions. Then this positions me to scramble to find a nursery at the height of their busy digging season that still has what I want in stock, and it sends me into another basic shipping charge that I try to justify by odering more and more that I wouldn't have otherwise odered in order to just get that one that I want so badly. What a bind for purse and mind. Is there a forum for trading or private purchase from an individual(other than ebay)? I have seen Dave's Garden but I have to subscribe and don't know if that is what I want to do. I NEED THE VOICE OF EXPERIENCE.

Also it appears that I really cannot give informed feedback on what I have received until 2 Springs from now.

These big whopping rhizomes might be spent mother ones; these medium ones may not even put on stalks, and the small ones might not survive and then there could be mismarked ones. Alot of variables to overcome from purchase to bloom! Most cultivars were purchased as only a single rhizome so there is only one to perform.

In the 100+ degree heat I lost several from Schreiner's Tye Dye Collection and Edith Wolford and Jennifer Rebecca. Schreiner's guarantee is something I haven't seen elsewhere so have outright lost a few from other nurseries. Makes Schreiner's shine if they only carried all the ones I want. I read on the Forum that brokens are more fragile? Is there truth to this? Sorry for all the questions. I am full of them.

Comments (10)

Sponsored