SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

Newbie needs help with planting mini iris

kentstar
15 years ago

Hi all!

I am new to irises. I bought just 4 MTB irises for my perrenial garden, which should be here this week sometime (ordered from Blue J Irises online). I live in NE Ohio, zone 5. The area that I am planting in is a raised flower bed on the western side of our house. It receives part sun (could be a problem if they are sun loving I guess). The bed had excellent drainage though, and I can amend the soil this week with extra humus or peat moss if needs be, as I will be pulling out our annuals to make the perrenial bed. I also have bone meal to use if need be.

I have no clue how to plant them. Do I add bone meal to the hole now, or wait till spring? Can I fertilize now or wait till spring to give them time to establish? I will be mulching the bed also, but heard that the rhizomes don't do well with mulch. I could keep the mulch away from the rhizomes. We get quite a bit of snow in the winter.

Any tips or help are greatly appreciated.

The site where I bought them never mentioned whether they are hardy in my zone (5b). The two types I bought are, Vavoom, and Butterscotch Carpet.

Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting