SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bencjedi

The T12 HD 'cheapie' Shop Light Fixtures No Longer Work with T8?

bencjedi
11 years ago

About 4 years ago I purchased the 48" least-expensive shop light fixtures at Home Depot. They came in a trapezoidal-shaped box. These fixtures were for T12 bulbs however T8s worked in them just fine. I decided to add more fixtures for another shelf of plants yesterday, so I picked up two more of the same fixtures at HD only to find that the T8 bulbs won't work with these newer-generation fixtures.The body of the fixture is identical to the ones I bought 4 years ago. The T8 bulbs work for about a minute when put in fresh and then they flicker like crazy and no turning of the bulbs seems to stabilize the lighting. It seems like the manufacturer changed the electronics inside the fixtures. :(

I liked these fixtures because the old-school server console rack I use for a shelving system is perfectly wide enough to accommodate 4 of these shop light fixtures side by side. The wideness footprint of these fixtures is perfect. I bought a fixture at Walmart last year that wasted too much space between each bulb. I hate to buy a different kind of bulb, so I guess I am shopping for new fixtures that accept T8 that have the same footprint. Any recommendations or should I just buy T12 bulbs?

Comments (7)