SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Update on my little bean patch

I have so many new to me beans to try I decided on planting a sampling of a few varieties in one area of my garden. There are 7 varieties on 2 tripods and 1 single pole. They were all planted at the same time, first to come up were the Tennessee Cutshorts, looks like this one is going to be a really strong grower here. Zelma Zesta, Oregon Giant, Garafal Oro, Signora Della Campagna are not far behind the TC's. The Bosnian Poles I planted, something was pulling them out, each morning I found them sitting on top of the soil except for two that were missed which are up and growing, I've started a few more in the greenhouse to transplant after they've germinated. The Barksdale are on the conduit pipe teepee, these are slightly shaded by the fence but this morning I see they're starting to pop through too.

My Italians have been in for some time, they are just about ready to climb the netting on the back of a raised planter box bed and I have a few on a teepee in a half barrel, this is in a very protected spot where the soil warms up quickly. Also on the ends of this planter I have Insuk's Wang Kong, only 3 seeds on each end, they only took 5 days to pop through but they came up gangbusters, went right past my italians and are already starting to reach for the twine. Talk about strong and robust, I've never seen anything like it. I don't know if I'll get a taste I only had 9 beans, planted 6, so they will be grown for seed. I've grown scarlet runners in the past but these IWK's are in a league of their own.

Of my 3 rice beans in baskets started in the greenhouse the Little White Rice and Ritz Escoffier are flowering, the Comtesse de Chambord were planted a little later and aren't flowering yet. These have all been moved outside and so far so good.

I started Uncle Steve's in pots in the greenhouse. These will get planted in the next day or two. I'll be comparing these to my italians, they are so similar to the italians I grow but I do think there are some slight differences.

All I can say about the Pretzel and Chinese Red Noodle planted in the green house is they are hanging in. I'm hoping when it really warms up they'll take off. If not, I won't be growing them again.

I'm still running around looking for a place to grow a few Blue Jays, I'm running out of space :).

I hope to keep a few seeds from all of these so will have to bag them to make sure they don't cross, only my Italians, Uncle Steve's and rice beans are isolated from the rest of so shouldn't have a problem with them crossing.

Annette

Comments (13)

Sponsored