SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ludiciousacres

Please help ... Hosta ID needed

Ludicious Acres
11 years ago

Hello everyone

My name is Ludi, I am new to this forum. Over the past couple of days I have been reading through all the various posts and have been amazed at the knowledge you all have for ID'ing. I aspire to one day be as savvy as you all So I finally mustered up the courage to introduce myself and offer up an ID challenge.

The back story:

I moved into my boyfriend's house about 2 years ago and he had been living here for almost 6 years. So 8 years total. There is evidence of previous landscaping from the original owners but nothing has been maintained so it is all overgrown and not very appealing at the moment. I have decided to take on the task of redoing the entire from yard over the next 5 years or so.

When diving into the overgrowth I found these three beautiful giant blue hostas. I have been a gardener all my life but never had the privilege of working with a shade garden until now. So when I saw these beauties I swooned and knew that these were not going anywhere. I will be ripping out a lot of other permanent shrubs and such to make way for a more cohesive design but the 'Big Blues' (as we have taken to calling them) are too awesome to disturb.

So in a nut shell the pictures include all three original clumps that were planted by the landscapers AT LEAST 8 years ago. They have been completely undisturbed for all 8 of those years.

I do plan to dig them up next spring and amend the clay underneath. I will be dividing them as well but keeping them in the same places they are. But I really just need to get under them and fix that nasty soil. So I figured, I would need to identify them now since they are showing full maturity characteristics. I am pretty sure once I break up the eyes they will go immature for a couple of years. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am still learning much about Hosta and would like to confirm if they will go immature once the mature clump is divided.

Here is the link to the 'Set' I made on Flickr. This album is just pictures of 'Big Blue'

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ludisia/sets/72157630358250554/

If you want to get a feel for the true scale of my front yard project (be warned - severely unattended plants � may not be suitable for children) click the link to my entire photostream to the right.

But I digress, back to business.

'Big Blue' specs:

I labeled the pictures to identify the three different clumps in the yard. I also put descriptions as well so please make sure you are not viewing in slide-show mode or you won't see them.

Leaf measurements present in photos as well as photo descriptions.

Big Blue #1 is the largest clump. It has nothing growing around it to obstruct the mound and is 6 ft in diameter. From crown to the top of the mound is about 2 ft. The scapes from ground to tip are 3 feet. This hosta is grown in filtered shade with patches of sunlight passing through the sycamores periodically throughout the day.

Big Blue #2 is grown in full shade. It is underneath a massively overgrown Rhody and Pieris. This plant has the largest leaf size of the three clumps and it's 'Blue' is the most prominent.

Big Blue #3 is grown in probably the most sunlight but the entire front yard is full shade to filtered shade all day. I wouldn't dare call it part shade, that would be overly generous.

It is an early bloomer and extremely fertile. We have tons of little babies all over the yard. The flowers are white. Usually blooming by the beginning of June, although we did have an early start to spring this year.

I have tried myself to identify the hosta from various online resources (hostalibrary � AHS database) and have suspected it could be one of the following:

Blue Cloud � only found this on hostalibrary � not registered on AHS � couldn't find any specs

Big and Blue

Big Daddy � I don't think it is Big Daddy because there isn't enough corrugation or seer suckering.

Blue Angel � From what I could tell Blue Angel tends to have predominantly longer pointier leaves and on my three there are some heart shaped and broad ovate leaves as well.

Blue Mammoth

Blue Umbrellas � Not sure that there is enough dooming or corrugation for Blue Umbrellas

Samual Blue � I think the leaves are too think to be Samual Blue and also I think Samual is a smaller blue than the others listed above ? Plus mine have a glaucous bloom and I am pretty sure Samual doesn't.

Please help me oh great Hosta Sages. :)

I look forward to your replies and am excited to join this community of hosta enthusiasts. With such a large area to be working with I will have plenty more pics to come and a lot of space for more hostas.

Thanks again in advance for your help ^^

Ludi

Comments (11)

• alexis717_df
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ludisia, I can't really help you with your ID question. I only have one big blue, and it wasn't any of those you mentioned. I just wanted to say Hi! Welcome to the forum.

Im sure the others will be along presently to help you out. Sounds like you have a big task ahead of you. Please come back often with lots of pictures.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

All three look like Elegans to me. It is likely they were all divided from one plant and were grown into maturity. You can tell by the early flowering and the fertility. That's why you see all those seed pods on these guys.

They are quite beautiful. Despite being a fairly common Hosta, Elegans is still highly valued in breeding new Hosta and often will win the "largest leaf contest" at Hosta gatherings. Using these three as the backbone of your garden and designing around them is very wise and will give your garden both focus and harmony.

Go to it.

Steve

• Related Discussions

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

welcome ludi.. i hope you really want to be enabled .... lol..

but i am basically lazy.. and i am not going to go back and forth from your album.. to your descriptions.. over and over ...

PLEASE .. i beg of you.. figure out how to insert your pix.. between your words.. look for an HTML code.. and paste it right where you type.. and on preview.. if you see it we will ...

i want to help.. i just want you to help me.. over my base laziness ..

ken

• Ludicious Acres
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Steve, thank you so much !!!!

With an identification I went snooping for more info.

I found this on Hostalibrary:

Use of the name sieboldiana 'Elegans', though widespread, is technically incorrect. The name 'Elegans' was originally given to a hybrid created by Arends, which was called 'Robusta'. Today the name is used for a variety of different blue sieboldiana-type plants which have been grown from seed in the last century. It should be considered a general name for these plants, and not that of a specific cultivar. In preparation for his book The Genus Hosta, W. George Schmid once tried to track down the original plant from Arends, but was able only to narrow it down to five growing in two locations in Germany.

So if I am understanding this right, saying these are Elegans is a generalization? Or are they species ? The description sounds to me like Elegans is not a specific cultivar.

When I looked up sieboldiana 'Elegans' on AHS they advised that the old name was "Blue Giant"

Blue Giant is not registered on AHS but hostalibrary shows an entry for it and the leaves look less corrugated to me than the pictures of elegans.

I am in no way disputing your claims and am appreciative of the reply. I am just a bit confused at this point what sieboldiana 'Elegans' really is.

I also understand that these are only two of the many resources out there that I am consulting at the moment, so it could just be limited information gathering on my part.

In any event I am curious as to your thoughts, and thanks again :)

Ludi

• Ludicious Acres
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Ken ^^

I am still new to the general flow of this forum and must confess that I was nervous to post since I saw previous posts where there was a lack of information. I guess I went overboard with the documentation but Flickr was a quick easy method for me to compile some 12 photos. I also did include descriptions on all of the pictures in Flickr, not just here in the post. Plus with Flickr you have an easier access to my documentation of this project. There are also other pictures in there of the monstrosity that is this front yard ::cringes::

But yes if it helps you all help me then I would be more than happy to figure out some sort of HTML code. What do you use when linking pictures ? I do plants but I am not so good with the computers.

Thanks !
    Ludi

• Ludicious Acres
    Original Author
    11 years ago

AH HA !!!! I have figured out the great mystery of linking pictures.

WOOT ^^

Ken, these are for you sir ^^

But if anyone else wants to see the whole album this is the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ludisia/sets/72157630358250554/

BIG BLUE #2

BIG BLUE #1

BIG BLUE #1

BIG BLUE #3

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Ludisia,

Elegans is a cultivar, not a species. It is no longer correct to refer to it as H. sieboldiana Elegans. All that stuff on the Library page is to indicate that no one was really able to pin down the original clump. The best that George Schmid was able to do was to pare it down to five possible clumps. The Elegans that we see today may have come from different seed, but it is similar enough for us to be able to identify it. The three plants that you have were likely divisions from the same original plant. It is common to see this in older gardens.

I saw a garden a couple of weeks ago that had 5 or 6 clumps of Elegans in it. All of them were mature clumps. I don't think this gardener had bought a new plant in 30 years. Everything she had planted had been propagated from one original plant. Frugal Yankee gardening at its best.

Steve

• Ludicious Acres
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Steve,

Thank you for clearing that up. ^^

And I would definitely agree with you on the other two being divisions from the first. This garden is at least 8 years old everything at this point is established and competing for space. I'm so glad these giants won their fair share. This is reassuring also that when I dig these up next spring they shouldn't fair to bad size wise once I replant the less dense divisions.

This is awesome. I now have an ID for when all the people walking their dogs past the property ask me what it is. I can proudly say � "Steve said it was Elegans".

Thanks again !!

Ludi

• User
    11 years ago

Wow. You have a lovely trio of hosta there.

I note you say you plan to split the clumps. If it were me, I would leave AT LEAST ONE of the clumps untouched. The queen so to speak, as a mark of respect for her longevity and persistence.

I think it was said earlier that you can build your garden around these three, how many more of them would you want to have that are small, when you can get some great new hosta to spice up your garden?

Welcome to the forum, BTW. Looks to me you have a super nice place to live and garden.

• Ludicious Acres
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Moccasinlanding thank you for the warm welcome.

A tribute to the Queen is indeed merited. I would definitely have to agree with you. Like I said in my original post I knew once I saw these three that they were special. There are a few other cultivars of hosta in the garden as well but nothing like these Elegans. (speaking of which I shall have to put Steve to the challenge again identifying the other mystery hosta in this jungle of mine). Ken won't ID if you don't link pics directly � lazy bum :p j/k

Let me clarify though, so as to maybe better offer me advice.

We live about 11 miles north of Philadelphia in the burbs. This garden is old and overgrown. There are a whole slew of perennials (mostly ferns and hellebore) from the original landscaping design. But like I said there is nothing to look at except overgrown bushes and self-chocking iris. So when I broke ground and started clearing out the first perennial bed about a month ago I hit clay. Real bad nasty compiled clay that I would rather throw on a wheel and spin into a lovely container than garden with. So my goal as I go through these perennial beds is to amend the soil. Slowly in the process moving all the established perennials to rejuvenate them with proper spacing and a more cohesive design (I'm going for woodland floor since the sycamores are dominating all the light in the yard).

With my Elegans I was not intending to move them from their current locations but rather dig them up, amend the soil underneath, and then replace them divided and refreshed.

I have read and seen when a mature plant gets to big it starts to suffer and I don't know how long total beyond 8 years these have been in the ground.

Am I in the wrong to touch them in any way ? I feel like they would only benefit from a soil amending. I would not dig them up every year, but rather amend around them in the years to follow.

Should I leave them be and wait until I see more signs showing me it is time to divide ?

Thanks as always ^^ You guys are great.

Ludi

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

If the hosta are doing as well as they are, why do any amending? They are happy in the soil they are in.

tj

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm