SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noss_gw

Asparagus Growing in South Louisiana

noss
10 years ago

Hello, I believe that I have a "volunteer" asparagus plant that popped up under my fig tree in my back yard this past year. I let it grow because it was wispy and fernlike, so I was curious about what it was. I crushed the tips of one fern and it smelled like asparagus, so I let it stay.

The spears that have grown up look like asparagus, as well.

I can't leave the plant under the fig tree because asparagus needs a lot of food and fig trees don't. I will need to put the plant into a raised bed.

How do I transplant the asparagus plant without killing it? Can I leave it until the spring?

Also, what is the best variety to plant if I decide to get some more plants? I've always wanted to try to grow asparagus. I know nothing about it and want to learn. If I dig the plant up, how large a root ball do I need to allow for? I know, since the plant had to have grown from a seed dropped by a bird, that I won't be able to harvest anything from it for a few years, but it's got a lot of shoots coming up and is that a good sign?

Does the asparagus need to be grown where it will get some sun and some shade? If so, how much sun and how much shade would be best? The little plant seems to have liked living under the fig tree, which sheltered it from the blazing hot sun over the summer months.

Thanks,

noss

Comments (14)

Sponsored