SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandysoil_2008

Starting from Scratch

Spring of last year is when I started gardening at my new house. Nothing was planted in the back yard except for hydroseeded grass. The bottom of the yard is in shade most of the day except from about 2 PM on. There are some small trees are growing on the west side of the fence so I should have more shade in a year or two. Here's a photo taken last spring after planting some pieris, astilbes, leucothoe and rhododendrons.

Now here's a photo taken last summer after planting lots of hostas, ferns, toad lilies and turtle heads.

Well, after lurking on here for quite a while, I was bitten by the hosta bug and decided I wanted one of everything. But I was running out of room so I rehomed lots of albomarginatas and multiples of cultivars that I had. They went to the local plant swap and were snatched up quickly.

I bought Cherry Berry, Dancing Queen, Fire and Ice, Fire Island, Frances Williams, Krossa Regal, Liberty, Paul's Glory, Pineapple Upside Down Cake, Praying Hands, Sagae, Whirlwind and Wolverine.

I'm already eyeing a piece of lawn next to the east fence for more hostas next year!

Thanks everyone for all the knowledge that I've acquired on this forum.

Comments (30)