SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cnid_gw

Getting my irises to bloom

cnid
18 years ago

I had only 2 types of tb bloom this spring - Superstition in 2 spots and an unknown that went crazy. Both are well-established. I have many other well-established plants that did NOTHING. I went to the FAQ about why irises might not bloom. I'll admit I was disheartened. So many reasons! It was a very dry spring here and I can't water regularly. I suspect that's the main reason. For a few others, though, I wonder if I can do some things to help them along.

1. Some of the plants look great and have been in 1.5-3 years. Their rhizomes are not readily visible. Might it help if I just clear the soil away from the rhizomes to expose them? Can I do that now? Or do I need to lift and raise them? If so, should I wait till August/Sept?

2. Some are good looking but kind of crowded. If I am going to clean up those clumps, do I wait until August to do that? (I have info on how to do it.)

3. Are short dwarf bearded iris less fussy than tall-bearded? I got some little yellow ones from a neighbour last summer (middle of June). I potted them up until the fall when I planted them and they did great this spring. No prima donas there.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am feeling a bit disheartened. Then today I got a Chuck Chapman catalogue and decided I am not ready to give up yet.

cnid

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions