SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janroze

Educate me, please

janroze
12 years ago

My Montana Aureomarginata is blooming. It must be the first time, because I think I would surely have noticed this flower. It doesn't look like a normal hosta flower, but instead like a deformed lily or star burst. 1. Is this normal? I am wondering about disease.

I have a large blue/grey hosta. It has 3 scapes with similar white blooms, the tallest 36" and all are above the leaves.

I don't think the petioles are vase shaped, but it is crowded, so it is difficult to know whether the leaves are held up by other plants or on their own. Even so, some droop near the ground.

It has elongated heart shape leaves (2. would they be called ovate?) with whitish or 3.is the term glaucous underneath, deep vein furrows and the leaf narrows the last 2 inches to a very pointy tip. They are of good substance and are lightly wavy along the edge.

It has been rather small until this spring and has now leaped to a 22" H x 48" W plant. I have been unable to ID it. Any thoughts? It has been OK in the area where we lost a spruce 2 years ago, until the day of hot scorching sun this year. Then it's top leaves burned and the blue is now pretty much green with ugly white and brown mostly scorched leaves on top. Should I remove them?

I need to move it even though it looks like an impossible task. Should I do it this fall or wait until spring?

Any ideas about who my pretty baby is, will be greatly appreciated. gramma jan

Comments (5)