SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elfinn_gw

Using T12 Fluorescent for Houseplant Supplement

elfinn
15 years ago

I perused the posts here and didn't really see any info on using grow lights is combination with natural light, so here's my question...

It's January in Michigan, all of my "good" (South and West-facing) windows are full, and I have to move some of my high light plants that were thriving in a SW window at work. I just inherited a plant rack with shelves that each have 2 4-foot T12 ballasts per 48" shelf which I placed in front of an East-facing window. In the ballasts I put one each 40W plant/aquarium full-spectrum and 40W cool white bulb. Basically, there are 4 lights per shelf, with the grow lights in the middle two sockets.

The highest shelf will get natural light only (put some Poinsettias and a Monstera seedling there to overwinter), the middle shelf will get artificial and natural light ..if the sun ever shines here... and the lower I plan on using for some cacti and lithops--keeping the ballasts within an inch or so from them. What I'm wondering, is, between the Eastern sunlight and supplemental fluorescent (about a foot away), will my Desert Rose, constantly flowering Crown of Thorns, Pachira, Love Leaf and Norfolk Pine be happy?

I don't have any equipment to measure lumens or footcandles, but in anyone's experience, has this been a good arrangement?

Your expertise is greatly appreciated!

Ellen

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES