SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

PG Hydrangea Trials Test Results

marcindy
12 years ago

Did anyone else see the October issue of Fine Gardening magazine? They featured a really informative article about the 12 year trial results of 25 hydrangea paniculata cultivars at the Chicago Botanical Garden. A table summarized the results and characteristics of each of the tested cultivars. I really love the test trials that CBG does, as they are in a similar zone and climate to me. And while the table is absolutely useful and a great guide for future purchases, I do find a few strange results in there.

For example Tardiva is described as having a blooming period from early summer to midfall, similar to cultivars like Little Lamb, Quick Fire or Pink Diamond. Now midsummer I would consider early to middle July. My Tardiva doesn't even show flower buds until well into August, and definitely well after Limelight has been in full blooming glory for weeks. Yet here they describe Limelight as blooming from Midsummer to late fall, which I would agree is true in my observation as well, but definitely not after Tardiva. I don't want to sound picky but that is a pretty glaring oversight. What are your thoughts and observations regarding the cultivars mentioned in that trial article? I know that Quick Fire is a very early blooming cultivar, but is its blooming period really comparable to Little Lamb or Pink Diamond as the table in that article claims?

Comments (4)