SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chocolateis2b8

When can I take cuttings?

chocolateis2b8
18 years ago

Hi, first time in this forum. I have a number of hydrangea's, around 15 or so of various kinds. I do not know enough about hydrangea's to give names, I only know I started with my first one about 6 years ago and feel in love with that one so much, I've been adding a few every year. They grow very well for me and are a perfect companion plant for my first love, hostas.

My mother will be visiting me from Georgia next weekend and she asked for cuttings from my black stemmed, Endless Summer, lacecap and tree form with the white pyramid shaped flowers. Can I give her cuttings now from the old wood? Or am I better to wait for spring and take from new wood?

And if you don't mind another newbie question, is it aluminum sulfite I add to the soil if I want them to bloom blue and should that be added now or in the spring? All of mine bloom pink after their second year because of my soil, and I do love the pink look, but I was thinking about trying to get a couple to bloom blue to see if I like the look.

Thank you for any advice you can give someone who is fast becoming a hydrangeaholic.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations