SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

I hope my hydrangea bed is finally done!!! :-)

ostrich
16 years ago

Thanks to all of your great ideas and advice, I think that my hydrangea bed could finally be done! George, Luis and Bogie - your suggestion of a sun-tolerant rhododendron was absolutely perfect - look, I found an Olga Mezitt on Friday! It is gorgeous and I love it! It is now sitting between my Limelight and Quick Fire on the left. It is also a main focus as one approaches the bed from the driveway. Here it is:

The photo was taken this afternoon, before I got the top soil in - it looked so much better afterwards but then it was too dark to take a photo though.... anyway, you see that I have changed things around quite a bit. The biggest change is the Olga Mezitt, which is flanked by the Cherry Cheeks daylilies on the left. Apart from the Olga Mezitt, I have put in more evergreen shrubs in there now, to create the backbone for the winter garden. You may notice that there are 2 Gold Lace Junipers and 2 Blue Chip Junipers now in the center. The Gold Lace should get to be about 3 feet tall, but the Blue Chip will stay low as it is but spread out quite a bit. Then between the Limelight and Sambucus Black Lace at the back on the left, I have put in a little Vintage Gold Cypress. The Sugar Tyme Crabapple at the back of the bed is now flanked by a pair of Golden Princess spirea.

Then on the right, the Pinky Winky and Little Lamb are now separated by the Physocarpus Summer Wine, which is contrasted by the adjacent Gold Lace Juniper. In front of the Gold Lace Juniper is a triangular planting of 3 Barbara Mitchell daylilies, which should provide some nice foliage contrast to the adjacent Little Lamb hydrangea and Bowl of Beauty peonies.

Sorry to be boring you with all these details, but I am so excited about this new flower bed!

Thanks again for all your helpful suggestions - keep them coming! :-)

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting