SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

Saved beans for seed wrinkly and dull

plantslayer
14 years ago

I saved some beans this year, but I am concerned that the beans I ended up with are not very viable for planting. Early in the summer, I found a fully matured and dried out pod on my bean plants (all the same variety of pole bean), which I had missed in picking, and kept the beans from it. The beans from this early pod which was picked in warm dry weather are very glossy and brown colored.

In the fall, once my final crop of beans was in, I left some of the bigger pods on the vines, and let them go to seed. These pods stayed on the vines during rather cool and damp weather. I eventually picked the pods and brought them inside where they were allowed to dry for several more days in the pod before I shucked them out. I got several dozen beans which are the same size as the earlier ones, but the later beans skins are dull, not glossy or smooth, and many are a bit wrinkly. Did I wait too long to save for seed? Could these beans still work for planting in the fall? How can I tell if they are in good shape before trying to sow them?

Thanks for the help!

Comments (10)

Sponsored