SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
serobins_gw

Mixed bean teepee?

serobins
10 years ago

Hello all,

I'm a complete newbie with questions. I've been looking for answers at the library and on the web, but I still have some things I can't figure out. I finally (!) have a place where I can grow vegetables, and I'm trying to plan a garden for this spring. I will have to be creative and scatter my vegetables around where there are patches of good, full sun.

Beans/peas are the things I'm most excited about growing. Store bought never measure up to the ones we had as kids.

I have a good sunny spot where I am thinking about putting in a pole bean teepee. As I understand it, you take about six 6'-10' bamboo stakes, drive them into the ground in a circle, weave them together at the top, then sow four to six bean plants around the base of each pole.

My questions:

A) Some of the guides I've found just say to sow four-six bean plants per pole and then they leave it at that. Others say to go back to each cluster and pull all but the healthiest two plants. Others say to leave one bean plant per pole. ??? I'm confused. What's the word from the people who've done this?

B) Can I grow different pole-bean varieties on the same teepee? I'll admit that I've been trapped inside for three days in a Level 3 snow emergency, looking at seed catalogs, but it seems smart to me to hedge a bit and try a couple of varieties. I like flat pod wax beans and string beans, and I can't decide between them. Plus, if this pays off and the plants produce, my family is going to need some variety. (Otherwise I'll be stuck making 100 jars of dilly beans with the extra.)

C) I have a huge amount of space and good soil, but I don't have a lot of places with full sun. There's a patch along a chain link fence I may use for peas, but if I could put the peas somewhere else, I would have room to grow some paste tomatoes. Can peas and beans go on the same teepee? Is this the kind of dumb question only a total novice would ask? (And if it is a dumb idea, will a chain link fence be an okay support for peas?)

D) Trying to grow lima beans my first time out in zone 5 would be bonkers, right? Talk me out of it, someone, because I adore fresh limas, and I have not had any real ones since I was a kid. My grandfather could get limas to grow here, but he was a legend.

E) Can I plant carrots and radishes around the outside circumference of my teepee? Or will the carrots be shaded out as the beans grow up?

I know this is a lot of questions. I thought I would spam them all in one big post, and I hope that's okay. Thank you for reading!

Comments (4)

Sponsored