SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilfrenchgardener

iris newbie questions

lilfrenchgardener
15 years ago

Hi,

I'm a one-year old iris grower and have a few questions. My mother-in-law gave me some irises last fall in a pot and I've been waiting anxiously for them to bloom - but they haven't. (From a google search I think she has bearded irises in her garden so that's probably what I have).I've been reading other posts and the FAQ and it seems like it may be normal for irises to take a year to establish themselves.

I'm wondering now:

1) if it's too late for them to start blooming this season and if I should start dividing and transplanting them. Or should I wait longer?

2) Should I keep watering them as normal or is there a 'dormant state' they should be entering sometime around now?

3) Any advice on how to grow them in pots is most welcome (I only have a balcony). In particular, how many per pot, and how big should the pot be?

Sorry for all these questions and ignorance but they are such gorgeous flowers that I want to try my best to have flowers next year at least. I'm not sure what my zone is as I just moved to the south of France, but our summers get hot (mid-high 80s right now) and our winters stay above freezing (I'd guess 40s).

Thanks in advance for your time.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz