SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avajay_gw

Can I mow down my iris bed?

avajay
14 years ago

Salutations, ya'll!

Last winter my mom had me dig up her iris tubes and there were several. Being new to gardening (my 1st home purchased only 2 years ago)I haphazardly put a few here, a few there, and so on. I put several along the side of my small barn (shed actually), and didn't really like the look of them there once I saw them. Maybe the spacing, I dunno. Anyway, now that they're already spent for this season, I want to re-think and re-plant the tubes, and there are now some tall, leggy seeding weeds growing in the bed. Since I wanted to dig that area to put in something else (not sure what), can I just mow down the iris leaves (is that what you call them, the long, pointy green foliage?) along with the weeds, then dig the tubes wherever I find the iris leaf stubs? I'm only asking because Mom once told me that any flowering perennial gets energy (or nutrients or SOMETHING it needs) from the remaining greenery after the bloom, and that leaving it there makes the plant stronger or bigger or prettier the following season. I also need to know whether I need to re-plant the tubes before winter to optimize plant health, or just store the tubes over winter and plant in spring.

Thanks,

Joyce

Comments (4)

Sponsored