SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ivysmom_gw

My first bloom! (ASB)

ivysmom
13 years ago

I ordered some 2-year-old macrophyllas from Hydrangeas Plus about a month ago, and planted them as soon as they arrived. They're doing pretty good -- two of them are kind of leggy (the ASB in the front yard and the Madame Emile Mouillere in the back) but seem to have recovered from transportation and transplant. Welll....

Lo and behold, during their morning watering today, what do I see, but a small bloom (1" diameter) atop the highest stem of my leggy ASB.

I am soo excited! I wasn't expecting to see anything until next Spring, so this is cool :) Can't wait to see what it comes out like. The soil they are in is totally unamended, so the color of this first little guy should give me a rough idea of acidity (I did buy some amendment to make the soil more acidic because I prefer to deeper/bluer colors, but haven't applied it yet).

I wanted to get a pic this morning, but the camera's battery was dead, so perhaps tonight or tomorrow night.

Anyhow, just wanted to share my excitement. Is it odd for any macrophylla (or ASB) to have a new bloom this late in the year? I'm in Houston and we had record heat yesterday, even -- up to 90, yikes! Close to that again today, and then we'll be sliding back down closer to normal, but it's still do freaking hot for this time of year!!

Comments (2)