SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
createdtocook

Limelight Hydrangeas: Can they be grown in Southern California?

createdtocook
10 years ago

I recently moved into a new home, and so I've been busily dreaming and scheming about a beautiful garden, where there is currently just dirt and weeds. So being a beginner in the gardening world, I Googled my gardening dilemmas and discovered GardenWeb... what an AWESOME place for people like me who have more questions than answers when it comes to gardening.

So here's my question/dilemma:
Well I recently discovered Limelight Hydrangeas and have fallen MADLY in love... I've read online about how low maintenance and easy they are to grow, and yet what amazing performers and bloomers they are. But I noticed that all of the pictures and articles I've read online show them growing in cooler areas of the United States. Has anyone had success growing Limelight Hydrangeas in my area???

My Weather Conditions:
I live in near the Pacific Coast in Southern California, where there summers are hot and dry, and the winters are mild. In the early mornings, we get a little bit of a marine layer. In the afternoon around 3pm, we get a coastal breeze. I looked up my area in the USDA gardening and Plant Hardiness Zone Map and it shows that I live in Zone 10b.

The Growing Spot:
My FRONT of my House Faces South, so it gets ALL day sun. The BACK of my house faces North. The spot where I'd like to plant the Limelight Hydrangeas is located at the BACK of the house. It is an area that is flanked by two adjoining walls that have windows opening into the house. My desire is to have the Hydrangeas planted along the two blank walls and have them grow tall enough to cover the bottom 1/4 of the windows so that I can admire them from my breakfast nook window and family room window. This area gets ALL day OPEN shade, and is sheltered from the coastal breeze. This area is probably one of the coolest areas on my entire property... the area gets bright light without any direct sunlight. Do you think this will be a good spot for the Limelight?

I've read that the Limelight Hydrangea can perform well in direct sun, I am afraid that the Front of the house where I get ALL day Sun might be too Hot for it. Am I correct to be concerned??? Or will it do well in the front of my house with all that sun and heat?

My other question is do Limelight Hydrangeas do well to be being Transplanted??? As it may have to be transplanted at some point in the future when we turn one of the windows into a French Door.

Being that I am on a tight budget and see myself in this new home for a long time, I need to be very thoughtful about all of my foundation plants. I need to find plants that will do well for me for years to come. So if you have other foundation plant suggestions for me, please, please feel free to share. A few other foundation plants I'm considering to plant around my house are:

Blue Hibiscus: Alyogyne huegelii
Sweet Pea Bush: Polygala dalmasiana
Icee Blue Yellow-Wood: Polocarpus elongatus 'Monmal'
Pink Trumpet Vine: aka. Queen of Sheeba
Climbing Eden Rose
Climbing Iceberg Rose
Iceberg Rose
Perennial Salvia: Blue Spire: Perovskia atriplicifolia
Rosemary

I would love to hear from you if you've had personal experience with any of these plants.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. All of your personal insight into my situation would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Comments (16)