SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Heres the plan for the new Bearded Iris Bed

newyorkrita
15 years ago

I already ordered bearded iris from Zebra Gardens and Schreiners to ship in July. So I have been making my plans for a new bed for them. At first I was going to do a round bed, then I thought square might be better. But neighter looked just right laying it out and trying outlines by clothline. So I moved it over aways about 8 feet down from original spot and I liked that idea.

Going to go with a seven foot square. I am going to do the square with those 4 inch wide rounded edge landscape timbers. Planning to go two high. Then I want to make another 2 timber high square inside the first square so that I will have 2 slightly raised bed sections. This all is being put in a section of lawn between the north side of my house and my driveway. Yes, I know that its difficult to believe I have any lawn left but I seems that I do, or did, depening on how you look at it.

I am thinking put the second level 2 feet in from the outlines of the square. That gives me a 2 foot bed all around and a three foot square bed in the middle.

My first idea had been a seven foot round using edger pavers (which I already ordered, not just for there but for lots of garden spots). By the more I thought about it, the more I realized I was loosing garden bed space with a round design verses square. There is more footage in the square design.

I am still so busy planting all my spring stuff but since I did order these iris, I am committed to having to have a home for them. I need to think on things and look at things put in place before I actually start to do anything permantent. So I am in my planning stages.

I had thought of plans to maybe put other things with the iris but nixed all them .

So if I have made any grevious errors in my thinking, feel free to point them out. Better now than after its done :-))

Comments (18)

Sponsored