SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

Frances Williams AWOL

kimcoco
12 years ago

I just went through all my plant tags...for the life of me I couldn't recall which hosta I'd planted that never came back this year. I found a tag for Frances Williams, no where to be found.

Could it be dog urine? Otherwise, it's a pretty reliable hosta, is it not?

Comments (28)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Too much shade......

• coll_123
    12 years ago

It's actually one of the few that mysteriously vanished for me, too. Actually, it rotted, but I never understood why. It started to come up in the Spring with all the rest, then just stalled out and rotted. Two of them, not in the same locations. Nothing else did, just FW.

But dog urine kills stuff pretty good too! I've lost astilbe to that.

• Related Discussions

hey koffman, you got a frances 'bacon' williams update?

Q

Comments (0)
    hope you were successful. pix?
    ...See More

Need a "look alike" for Frances Williams

Q

Comments (17)
    Thanks for your response, Josephine. I ask because I got some divisions from my neighbor when they moved last year and I now have the perfect FW. I was unaware of OBL so never considered it as a poss. OBL. Then I saw the OBL at Cantigny near a FW and shook my head trying to differentiate the two. I already had many FW's with most of them usually displaying dessication, though not so much this year. Someone here last year offered the advice that if you don't like the FW when it displays poorly to dig it up and throw it away. I haven't done it yet but that is always an option!
    ...See More

Is this Frances Williams?

Q

Comments (6)
    Good idea, Kay! I moved mine last spring away from house foundation/ under deck to try and eliminate or decrease the amount of spring desiccation. It is doing super this spring and as of a day or so ago, it shows very minor blemishes in one or two leaves. It seems not to have minded the move - the clump and leaves are as large as last year and may even be larger. I will measure the largest leaf just out of curiosity and compare to the Library stats. Whenever we get temps early (before onset of summer) in the 30's, it's a given my oldest FW will blemish somewhat. Being more in the shade now, and getting plenty of cooling breezes in the more open but shaded space has helped a fair bit. It seems taller this year. The old girl remains a treasured beauty in my garden. Funny, they brought along an alternative, Olive Bailey Langdon but it is not foolproof here. A couple of spots on it but doesn't really detract from its looks. I will scissor/trim where I can a bit later. :-) Maybe later you might post an updated pic and so shall I? I have been experimenting with FW for a few years now and my premise is that age and location, specific location, have an impact on how much/if any desiccation this plant suffers. This, the subsequent year after a move, will tell me more. Here's a peek at the oldest FW of mine from the weekend...too bad the honeysuckle confetti detracts (but smelled heavenly). Lots of leaves still to stretch out but she sure has settled nicely in there.
    ...See More

Frances William Or earth angel

Q

Comments (2)
    FW. EA has much smoother leaves... Pieter
    ...See More
  • franknjim
    12 years ago

I wish mine would disappear. lol I have had it 20 years, in the same spot for 10 years. Early spring it looks good for about a minute then the edges go to pot. Out of the thousands of pictures I take in the yard, that is one hosta that rarely ever looks good enough to take a picture of.

Take a lot of pictures and keep them in dated folders so you can always go back to look and see what went where and when.

• coll_123
    12 years ago

I replaced mine and then made it disappear this year, Frank. Gave it to my FIL, who doesn't care if a hosta looks a little crappy. Me, have a small garden and don't want ones prone to late Spring ugliness.

• jennaj_z4mn
    12 years ago

I know that lots of people don't care for FW--but mine seems to do very well in this spot every year. It is a division from my parents who had it for quite a few years. It does get a little of the rust on it, but usually not too bad. There is an eye that is almost all solid peeking out there too.
    {{gwi:1028411}}

• Hostamedic
    12 years ago

I replaced one of my FW with Olive Bailey Langdon this year as it too did not come up...my other 6 did come up, the one in similar location (other side of walk)NORTH is very sluggish while the others on the east side of the house are flourishing.

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

I don't understand why many here give a bad rating for FW. My FWs do very nicely, are prettier than most of the hostas shown here on this forum. Most hostas including my OBL will burn in more than 3 hrs of afternoon sun without daily water. My FWs in shade or less than 2 hrs sun will not burn.
    Bernd

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

I have 6 FW's,and they always come back every year. Olive Bailey Langdon is definitely faster growing,though. Phil

• LuckyKat13Gail
    12 years ago

Jennaj. That is the prettiest FW I have ever seen. I have 4 of them and they look nice but yours is amazing. Gail

• Gesila
    12 years ago

I have three FW that I bought for 89 cents each at a fall clearance sale. They were tiny tissue cultures. I planted them in the back of the garden four years ago. They were totally neglected, never watered for three years. Tons of weeds grew around them. I moved them this year to the front of my LOV bed and now have all three of them together. They're starting to become some nice clumps.

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

Jennaj,I forgot to add that the gold leafed part of your Frances Williams is called Golden Sunburst. I have one like that,that sported all the way to all gold leaves,and it used to be an ordinary FW. Over the years,more gold leaves showed up,and then one year,it came up all gold,and has never reverted back. The only bad thing is,the gold leaves are subject to dessication,the same way the gold margin does on FWs. I have to move mine back to more shade,as it burns very easily. Phil

• coll_123
    12 years ago

Bernd, I have seen some nice FW in close to full sun at a client's house. I don't believe the brown spots have much to do with sun exposure, personally, since mine was in TOTAL shade and still got ugly, year after year. I think it's just like any other hosta- not all of us will have the same experience with any given one.

• sassy7142
    12 years ago

Phil, Did I understand you correctly...if your FW turns gold than it will no longer be a FW, but called Golden Sunburst instead? I have 2 FW and they do well. One of them is 3/4 gold now.
    Kimcoco, I have 3 hosta that disappeared, just vanished. I'm blaming voles.

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's funny you mentioned voles. I think I have either voles or moles - saw a little rodent waddling along my garden bed and then found a tunnel he dug on top of my retaining wall. Too fat and slow to be a mouse, too small to be a rat. I had never seen them before. Last year, we were battling mice and rats in our detached garage because siding on the back had rotted and part of our garage was buried. This year we installed a drainage system, solved that problem, but now voles are here. Just can't win!

I lost a hosta that I had just planted last year, and in the same vicinity one of my 2 year boxwood are dying. I THOUGHT it was possibly dog urine, but I could be wrong.

What do you do to get rid of voles or moles? I don't know which of the two I have. I ran my hose in the tunnel the other day, turned it on full blast and left it running for awhile. it took 5 minutes for water to seep out of my retaining wall. I read they aren't nocturnal, so I'll try it again in the evening.

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

All those years I have FW I never lost one and never saw a gold leaf, but this year I am seeing a gold leaf on a big plant only getting late afternoon sun. Two of my FW must be 15-20 years old.
    Bernd

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

Sassy,yes the all gold version of Frances Williams is called Golden Sunburst. I read it once in one of Diana Grenfells books. You can look it up in the Hosta Library,but I don't think they say where it came from. Here is a current pic of it today. You can see how it dessicates,and this is in too much sun,which further makes it look bad. I plan on moving it into total shade,and also because it is getting crowded,where it is now. Phil

{{gwi:920083}}

• franknjim
    12 years ago

This is a mole.
    {{gwi:1028412}}

This is a dead mole. I used a spring loaded mole trap.
    {{gwi:935511}}

While I don't like killing animals this guy killed one of five in a row of my Strictus Junipers last year, had damaged my Blue Mist Spirea repeatedly and was damaging my annuals.

This is a vole.
    {{gwi:1028413}}

• hostaLes
    12 years ago

How come moles don't have dirt under their nails? Ya'all think moles do damage be thankful you don't live in Armadillo land. As their territory has spread they haven't swam across river - they tunneled under them and their nails seem as long as the whole mole.

I have over the years planted 5 FW and lost them all. They all consistantly regressed after planting. This year I have one that is going to make it. I have a large Grecian Urn in the garden under my walnut that is flanked with Blue Angel on either side and the FW in front. When they grow 1 more year I will post pictures. I wonder if the lack of competition for water and nutriants under the walnut is the difference in my case. Every one I lost, a different hosta thrived in the same location.

Les

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think I would have recognized those feet on the little critter. They seem hard not to miss, and he was just a few feet away. I think it was a vole, though mine looked much fatter than the one in the pic. Moles eat grubs and worms. Voles eat plant roots and vegetation. Great. I have small animals so I'm limited in my choices in my yard in terms of getting rid of them. Thanks for sharing the pics FranknJim.

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They need to get rid of that paint ad - it keeps turning my GW page red.

I didn't realize FW was such a difficult hosta to grow. Now I don't feel so bad. Kudos to Les for your perseverance!

• franknjim
    12 years ago

While moles don't eat the plant roots they do destroy them when they go through them.

Rats are also known to tunnel around. lol

I have to be careful how I deal with vermin as we have five dogs that cost us almost $10,000.00. We have 13 pets total. :)

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

BTW,I went back and re-counted my Frances Williams. It turns out I have 9 of them and they have been there quite awhile.I can't figure out why anyone can't grow them. I don't know how moles and voles got into this post,but I only used to get moles in my garden paths,but never in the gardens. Phil

• franknjim
    12 years ago

I think that the mole stayed out of my main yard because of the Silver Maple roots being so dense. If they travel in light fluffy soil their tunnels probably collapse.

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Discussion went from FW to voles to moles to dogs. LOL. FNJ, I have three dogs, and I thought that was a lot to handle!! Should I dare ask what the rest of the animals are? Hopefully you have some cats in there to deter the little critters.

• franknjim
    12 years ago

Three Neapolitan Mastiffs(Medusa, Titus & Persephone), English Mastiff(Athena), German Shepherd Dog(Hans), two cats(Caledonia & Maybell), Scarlet Macaw(Kyra), Greenwing Macaw(Misha), Bluefront Amazon(Shishka), Ecclectus(Filbert), Ball Python(Daisy)& a rat(Oscar).

They are all taught not to hurt other animals so they won't go after any. The cats just watch field mice if they get in the house. The cats lay with the dogs even though they are 15 times their size. All are indoor only pets and none of them are allowed anywhere near my hostas. The dogs have the backyard. The frontyard is mine.

• gayle0000
    12 years ago

Ummm...back to Frances Williams???

Col123 said: "I don't believe the brown spots have much to do with sun exposure, personally, since mine was in TOTAL shade and still got ugly, year after year."

I have to agree with Col123. I believe the burn spots have everything to do with spring cold exposure.

I've been watching FW at my house. I have her right out my back door, so I give it an inspection about every day. She gets about 5 hours of direct morning-noon sun. Becomes dappled after that.

I have to say, the melted out spots from the spring cold spells show themselves and start becoming really ugly around later May in my parts.

I can say that once the spring burn spots are dried up and done...which has been the last couple weeks this year...they are not pretty, BUT, FW is fine and thrives with lots of sun for the rest of the season with no additional burning.

Just need to figure out the best order of protection during the spring weather.

Gayle

• franknjim
    12 years ago

FW dessicates because it does not have the ability to always keep its edges full of moisture so they dry up. Even in perfect weather under perfect conditions. It's in the genes, that is why it happens to almost all FW's everywhere. There are rare exceptions but very few considering how many FW's are out there. That is why so many people are taking out their FW and replacing it with OBL since it does not have the dessication problem.

• arcy_gw
    12 years ago

I have to agree with franknjim. My FW is in a shady corner, this spring was perfect for hosta..the same dang rust spots/dessication issues showed up. I moved it from the front of the house to the back a few years ago, trying to find a place with less sun. Before it got some morning sun. Now it gets no direct sun light but the spot isn't dark. It is finally taking on size, but for its potential I am disappointed and would never bother to divide it or get another. It was my first green/yellow hosta so I keep it around for the collections sake.