SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nandina_gw

Update on using cornmeal to prevent blackspot

nandina
22 years ago

All the rose growers report having success warding off black spot by sprinkling cornmeal once a month on the ground around roses. So, I decided to try it this year. To date all my roses here in the south are free of black spot....except for one which has never shown any sign of blackspot over the past five years until now. I am mystified by that!

And I decided to also try the cornmeal sprinkled around my container grown tomatoes to see if it would stop the tomato fungus problems. Usually by this time of the year the bottom stems have browned and are falling off. I wish you could see the tomatoes. Not a sign of fungus problems. Plants are fully branched and touching the soil. And they are a vivid healthy dark green. I attribute this to my second experiment. Once a month I mix 2 tablespoons of old-fashioned blackstrap molasses into a gallon of water and water the tomatoes with this. Our tomato season ends June 21st here because of the heat. It will be interesting to see how well these tomao plants grow through the rest of the season.

Comments (108)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional