SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vivaciouswoman

Reverse Osmosis system for expanding hydroponics setup...

vivaciouswoman
15 years ago

I'm a lifelong gardener, but I'm just a beginner with hydroponics. Right now, I'm doing just a few small items in my basement, but I have dreams of my own greenhouse (attached to house) dedicated to hydroponic crops when my hubby and I build our dream home in a few years.

Right now, I'm sick of hauling home RO water from grocery stores. Rain water is a good source of water in the summer, but winter in Michigan will mean no source of (liquid) water again. I want a RO system. And my hubby is willing to buy one for me (and install it) for the holidays. Lucky me!!!!

I need advice. I *think* I want low/zero waste RO system if it is to be placed in the basement, because there's no plumbing down there--no drain (just a walk-out basement, so I can toss used water outdoors). We would have to hook into the pipes servicing the first floor.

Those of you who have looked into RO systems:

--What type do you recommend, and why?

--What is the smallest reasonable size for a storage tank if I'm going to be growing into about 200 sq ft of hydro-only growing (eventually)?

--Is this something we can install in our current home and then take with us to the new house, or should I just get something cheap and be prepared to leave it here?

--Should I just commit to tramping up and down the stairs with gallon jugs and putting the RO system in the kitchen (where we would have--bonus--good drinking water from it)?

Any bits of wisdom are GREATLY appreciated! It takes a village... :)

(I seem to have rotten luck getting my queries to stay on the Forum. Are they getting deleted by a moderator? I have no idea why they would! This is my last shot. Wish me luck!!)

Comments (12)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor