SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

how do you know whent ehy are too deep ....

when i look at pix.. i really study them ...

i often say they look too deep.. but how do i know ....

first... the stalk of the leaf is called the petiole .... all hosta have petioles ...

if i see a pic that looks like a bunch of leaves sticking out of the ground... i start to wonder where the petioles are ...

second ... or B .... having a gut feeling that a given hosta should be fully leafed out and 12 inches high .... but only appears 6 inches tall ... i start to wonder again ...

C .... a plant .. by history provided.. instead of getting larger every year .... seems to be regressing .... crowns are like iris ..... they should basically be at ground level ... it is said .. they need air and drainage.. as much as they need soil .... bury them too deep .... and you can have a negative impact on the vigor or performance of the plant ...

the smaller the hosta.. the more important C is .... esther will say the plant will grow itself into the correct position .. i agree to some extent ... mini and some small will die before they are ever able to do that ... as will poorly divided struggling hosta ....

on the other hand.. if you plant them like tulips.. 6 inches down ... they will all die ...

anyway.. anyone have any before and after pix of such.. or pix of them planted too deep and underperforming?????

has anyone followed our suggestions on such and gone out and dug them up and found the condition ... what is your experience????

ken

Comments (25)