SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

What is your best performing paniculata hydrangea this year?

ostrich
15 years ago

For me, my Limelight wins hands down. Its vigorous growth, blooming power and ability to tolerate our ever-changing weather put it at the first place. A month or two ago, our bambi friends unexpectedly feasted on my Limelight, and half of the buds were gone. Then miraculously, new growth appeared and then the new buds were formed, and now they are blooming!!! So now I have both creamy white flowers and lime colored flowers from the new growth, both on the same shrub. It's very pretty indeed.

Then Quick Fire has to take second place. I love this plant too, but then I am not really a fan of its dusty pink color now. Otherwise, it's also a beautiful grower with gorgeous leaves and red stems when young, and the pure white flowers were breath-taking early in the season.

Third place goes to Little Lamb - the flowers don't seem to last as long as the other varieties. Otherwise, it has been a nice shrub with more subtle flowers.

My Pinky Winky has been a disappointment this year. The growth has not been all that vigorous. The flowers are not as pretty as they appear in the promotional photos. Maybe I need to aggressively prune it early next spring to stimulate some new growth... oh, and the deer seem to love it too much too!!! Sigh...

My Pink Diamond comes last because it probably has not been in the same full-sun location as the other ones - I placed the poor thing in a dry, semi-shaded location, so it probably is my fault that it underperformed...

What is your list like?

Comments (5)