SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
botanicals4u

Need ideas of flowers to plant with iris

botanicals4u
16 years ago

I am finally getting around to trying to straighten out my iris by planting them in rows in what was at one time a veg. garden. This area is about 50' x 100' and slopes pretty sharply uphill on the long side. We have started making rows, (digging by hand, no tractor) about 3' wide across the short end and putting a path (of composting hay & horse manure) between the rows .....it just looks like old hay, at least on top, and gives us a place for the stuff we clean out of the stall, plus I am hoping it will act a a bit of berm to prevent the iris beds washing out in a downpour. I'm spacing the iris' about 1' apart which may be too close but they are small and have been in less than ideal areas.

I like the idea of seeing something flowering and green instead of bare dirt and don't want weeds popping up all over the place ..... we're too old and in less than ideal health to weed all day long. I wondered about oriental poppies, and violets or maybe California poppies. Although the soil is clay-based, it has had compost worked into it for years and is quite fertile.

What do you plant with your iris'? I'd welcome your ideas, thanks,

Carol

Comments (4)

Sponsored