SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slm_gw

Help!! On Some Plantd - Curling, Non Turgid Leaves

slm
13 years ago

Hi All,

My last hydroponic growing was over 5 years ago. Here's the situation: Some of the leaves are curling, and they're not firm feeling; they're limp (non-turgid).

The facts:

Plants Suffering: red cabbage, collards, and 1 dead pepper

Total Plant Types: red cabbage, kale, collards, broccoli, peppers, tomatoes.

# of Plants: 18

Hydro Start Date: 10/03/2010

Environment: outdoors

Water: deionized

Nutrients: Advanced Nutrients 3 part system.

Growing Medium: Hydroton

System: drip tubes with 6" net pots in 8" PVC

Watering Interval: 1/2 hour every hour 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.

PPM: ranged from 800 - 1250: added non-nutrient water every day - also added nutrients mid week.

PH: 6.4 to 6.7

Sprouted from seed in a seeding mix in 1oz cappuccino cups, then transferred to rinsed hydroton (to wash off clay dust). I didn't rinse off the dirt (at first) that the seedling's roots were in. Over the course of the week, I noticed the the nutrients became more concentrated and I added deionized water to the reservoir. I also added more nutrients and had them at 1250 ppm for a day or two. I noticed that the mix the plants were mostly rooted in was saturated so I hosed off the seed mix dirt and planted directly into hydroton (on some plants, not ALL - I did this because they looked like they were having problems and now they're worse!!). I've only watered twice here today (Sunday).

I've wondered: too much water? root rot? over-fertilization? nutrient imbalance (maybe from bad mxing? should I change water, rinse, and start fresh)? is DI water no good? is hydroton causing problems? drip tube too close to stem?

Pictures worth 1000 words - I hope these pictures work. If not, post a message and I can email them or send you to photobucket. Please help!!

{{gwi:1015226}}

{{gwi:1015229}}

{{gwi:1015230}}

{{gwi:1015231}}

Please help!! Any advice would be appreciated - SLM

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm