SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phantomfyre

Name of commonly sold red 'rebloomer?'

phantomfyre
16 years ago

Hi everyone! Haven't been around here much, mostly due to GardenWeb's new no-longer-user-friendly format, but I have a question and I think this is a great place to ask it. We moved to this property almost 2 years ago, and the previous owner had some bearded irises planted down by the creek. They all had tags - the plastic ones with a picture like you'd get in a nursury - but one washed away when the creek flooded last spring. Well, the iris it belonged to bloomed last year and was FABULOUS. A blooming fool - even in the wet and shade down there - and the most lovely red (maroon-burgundy) self. I'd like to try to put it's name back on it, and here's where I'm hoping you can help. I'm guessing by the type of tag it had and the other irises and perennials here that it is a very commonly sold iris by nurseries and catalogs, and was probably sold as a rebloomer (although I don't know that it actually does.) You know how some questionable rebloomers are sold by companies as rebloomers? Well, the other irises here were 'Rare Treat,' 'Chasing Rainbows,' 'Enchanted One,' and 'Autumn Circus.' Might not have been sold as a rebloomer, but those other cultivars make me mighty suspicious. So, have you seen any of those "Reblooming Collections" that included a red? Or a nursery/catalog red you know of? I know this is a bit of a shot in the dark, but I'd really appreciate your ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Diana

P.S. YES, all the bearded irises have been moved away from the creek and up into full sun and good drainage. Poor things!

Comments (5)

Sponsored