SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darenka

Hydrangea ignorance so vast--it dwarfs the Grand Canyon

darenka
14 years ago

I had NO idea on the depths of my ignorance until I stumbled into this forum. I hope someone will provide a glimmer of enlightenment. First off, I wanted to know if anyone had a spineless Endless Summer. (I read more than I wanted to about the less than stellar performance in some gardens, and the tendency to wilt.) Mine wilts quickly, but there is a floppy, sprawling habit to the plant that I hadn't expected. There were some in a former rental I occupied (only know they were mophead type) and I was wild about them. I believe I'm in a zone that might support them so I wanted to plant some. I read about the Endless summer on some site and thought they'd be the perfect fit--for less than ideal hydrangea zone.

Hydrangeas here are labelled as "garden hydrangeas" or Endless Summer (blue pot, high price tag)--no other classification (is there such a thing as an indoor hydrangea?--it just seems silly to identify them as the outdoor garden variety.) I guess my point is I'll never know what I'm buying for certain. I'm in Germany, at that seems to be the practice at all nurseries (specialty shops and the Home Depot type). I did plant a few lacecaps--as they look distinct to my untrained eye, I think that's what I have. I'm a little confused with the lacecaps. Do you individually pull off the dead flowers that start looking unsightly, or do you leave the unsightly until the full head is done? I have one under a tree, but it's quite shade for 90% of the day. Is that too much? My North Carolina hydrangeas were in full sun and they were fabulous bloomers. I didn't even know these fellows liked shade until I read a bit more about them.

Is there anything that can/should be done for the spineless Endless summer? Previous mophead hydrangeas were so easy and low maintenance. I'll probably try to plant a couple of those as well and just protect them in the winter. I apologize for this rambling post. I'm just feeling so overwhelmed for some reason. I guess I'm afraid all my new plants are going to croak and I cannot ask local gardeners for help yet. If I wait until my language skills improve, they'll be dead for sure. Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm