SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berndnyz5

this is not hvx.

in ny zone5
9 years ago

Recently I thought I had several hostas with HVX, but tests with Agdia strips showed that there was no HVX, probably bad winter caused it or some other virus. Last year I had 2 hostas with full-blown HVX in the same area, tested it with Agdia test strips to verfy it. Those were sudden cases, so this year I am on the lookout for several cases.

For symptom identification please click on 'Hosta Virus X' in the Hosta Library.
The tests with Agdia HVX ImmunoStrips showed only the control line, which indicates valid tests. The Test Line was not displayed, wich means NO HVX.

Last year I tested two h.'August Moon' for HVX. They had green ink bleed between two veins on several leaves. Result : no HVX. This year these plants have patches of green which could be 'collapsed tissue', but last weeks test again showed no HVX.

A 'St.Paul' showed blotches on several leaves, test shows no HVX. That might have been cold damage, plant corrected itself.
'Dancing Queen', last year it had 2 quarter size spots with green ink bleed, no test after test of August Moon. This year it has white ink bleed and blotches of white. Test result : no HVX.
Blue corrugated seedling, has several spots of white ink bleed. Test result : no HVX.
fortunei 'Albomarginata', blotches and white ink bleed. Test result : no HVX.

Please find below a picture of Two 'Queen of the Seas' growing side by side closely, white ink bleed. Test result : no HVX.

What could this be? Possibly another virus? When this gets worse, I should remove plants.
Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 9:53

Comments (14)

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another :
    'Dancing Queen', last year it had 2 quarter size spots with green ink bleed, no test after test of August Moon. This year it has white ink bleed and blotches of white. Test result : no HVX.
    Bernd

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one also tested with HVX test strips : fortunei 'Albomarginata', blotches and white ink bleed. Test result : no HVX.

• Related Discussions

HVX on Abiquia Drinking Gourd?

Q

Comments (9)
    when dealing with their beloved babies ... its better to suggest little to no fert ... so the peeps dont get carried away .. if 1 unit is good.. isnt 10 units ten times better ... i call it the grandma effect ... youre sick.. eat.. youre tired.. eat ... youre sad... eat ... its a certain ethnic grandma system .. lol ... bkay is correct on timing.. up here in the north... you want your plants slowing dawn for fall ... and the with the first hard frost or freeze in october or so ... here in my z5 MI... being all hyped up on too much fert can lead to rots in spring.. it would be along the lines of hardening off for cold weather in a pot ... you dont want lush soft new growth in late fall ... and yes.. the type is important ... you dont want to be applying a 6 month time release .. that isnt fully released by sept... 6 months form today would be jan 27 .. yikes ,... i lost focus.. bye.. ken
    ...See More

Is there a soil treatment for HVX?

Q

Comments (5)
    If I were in that predicament, I would kill the plants with roundup and carefully remove them when dead---especially trying to remove all the roots. I would not plant hosta in ground there for at least two full seasons. I would add buried hosta in pots to that area. Pot in a pot method would be even better. I would also try some new plants (not hosta).
    ...See More

Another HVX or not?

Q

Comments (4)
    Ok, we'll that's a relief. I'll feel better about planting them some friends nearby! Thank you all so much for your input.
    ...See More

A Couple HVX Questions

Q

Comments (22)
    I took another look from a different point of view. Maybe the bubbles are the little bumps in the yellow section of the leaf in picture 3, like hives on people? Interesting. Not sure what that is, but the plant is so pretty. Keep it isolated and do not prune it.
    ...See More
  • in ny zone5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a nice blue corrugated seedling, has several spots of white ink bleed. Test result : no HVX.
    Thanks for reading!
    Bernd

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

send the link to chris.. if he doesnt gratuitously pop in

ken

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

The most dangerous HVX infected hosta is the one that shows no indication at all. A hosta can look perfectly normal and be infected and certain to transmit HVX if both the infected and new host hosta have their juices come in contact. Sanitizing tools and assuming every hosta may have HVX is the best and only way to almost surely prevent spread.

Other virus, that can be transmitted by insects, are far more susceptible to spreading throughout a garden. Testing negative for HVX can give a false sense of security as it only tells you that the hosta doesn't have HVX and it could have something far more contagious.

Indications of HVX wouldn't cause me to be alarmed. If it clearly matched the photos available in the Hosta Library, I would simply kill it and ensure the roots were dead before doing any digging (3-4 months would be reasonable) If the indications looked like another virus I would religiously spray to keep spreading by insects and 'Roundup' the plants if I was convinced it was a virus.

If you are aware of how HVX spreads, there is no reason to panic and digging it up without killing it is a mistake...in my opinion. Others may have differing opinions, but they are wrong.

Jon

• trudy_gw
    9 years ago

Sorry to say there are other virus which hostas have. Check out the photos on link. Mosaic virus on hostas.

Other virus occur. So sorry!

We do have so much damage on hostas this winter!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic Virus

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Anthracnose

Anthracnose is the most common foliar disease of hostas. It is characterized by irregularly shaped white to tan spots with a brown border. The spots often lose their centers and the leaves become tattered and torn.

Tomato ringspot virus infection in hostas was associated with leaf mottling and chlorosis. Impatiens necrotic spot virus caused primary foliar lesions followed by latent infection. The tobravirus occurring in hosta was related serologically to both pea early-browning and tobacco rattle viruses, but was unusual in not being transmitted by mechanical inoculation to Nicotiana benthamiana or to N. clevelandii. Three unidentified isometric viruses, detected by electron microscopy and ds RNA analysis, were found in hostas with chlorotic ringspots, veinal necrosis and interveinal chlorosis. Mosaic virus, Rattlesnake virus.

Once you have tested for HVX you are left with anyone of the above often with indications that are very like one another. Don't think you can heave a sigh of relief when you get a negative HVX test. You could be in worse trouble. Fixating on one disease can be a big mistake.

Thankfully hosta are one of the toughest plants.

Jon

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! I will read about those other viruses.

Trudy, your link shows that some of my plants have this Mosaic virus, so I will dig out those 3 with soil, etc., whenever I feel like it. With the others I might see how they develop.

Jon, I agree, whenever something looks bad allover, simply get rid of it, very carefully. (I hate it!!!)
    Thanks!
    Bernd

• jamie81
    9 years ago

I am curious. With all these different viruses....do they all spread in the same manner? Is each one different? Do any of them spread through the air?

• trudy_gw
    9 years ago

It is to bad there are not test for some of the other viruses/disease which attack hostas.

Maybe some day there will be. I really think some other other virus/disease are more common now days than HVX as it was mentioned when we test for the HVX and it shows negative some gardens feel they are home free and dont dispose of the hosta.

Yep best to get those plants out of the gardens, not worth spreading!

So sorry berndnyz5, as this makes a lot of work for you to do.

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am very happy with my hostas, and gardening in general!

Trudy, I got used to removing 2 or 3 HVX plants each year, so I have a few other virus plants this year too, but no HVX yet. The upside is that I did not find any HVX. I have around 350 hostas, of those 210 different ones, so losing a few each year is acceptable and normal. The seedling and the Albomarginata losing is OK, but the 'Dancing Queen' hurts, will replace it, is such a good plant. About the others I have not decided yet.

Most people here on this forum buy from good growers, that makes it very safe for them. But some plants bought elsewhere might be infected which does not show yet, etc., so people have to be careful.

Hostas it is a great hobby. Let's say, my 4 bad plants out of 350 total, is about 99% good, which is about 100%, so I am very happy with my hosta gardening. Plus this digging is great exercise!

In respect to HVX testing, perhaps the virus concentration in my samples was too low for the HVX test strips to detect. I have asked Agdia about that.

Bernd

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I received a response from Agdia's Ms. JS Lamborn. Since I focused on sampling where symptoms showed, my test results with HVX teststrips were correct.

Agdia not only sells HVX teststrips (ISK 16600), but also teststrips for other viruses common to hosta :
    Arabis mosaic virus (ArMV) - ISK 23203
    Cucumber mosaic virus (CMV) - ISK 44501
    Impatiens necrotic spot virus (INSV) - ISK 20500
    Tomato spotted wilt virus (TSWV) - ISK 39300
    All of these ImmunoStrip kits come in packs of 5 ($32.50) or 25 ($105).
    Agdia does not have ImmunoStrip tests for the detection of Tobacco rattle virus (TRV) and Tomato ringspot virus (ToRSV). These are only available in Agdia's Testing Services lab, see link.
    Bernd

Here is a link that might be useful: Agdia's Hosta test lab

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Jamie,

No virus spread with air. HVX spreads only with sap through cuts, scrapes in both the infected and another hosta.

The other virus can be spread with insects; nematodes, thrips.....maybe others.

Bernd, I'm sure the test strips work, but it will cost $160 to set up for all these tests and once you find which one it is then you have to destroy the hosta anyway. I think testing like this is useful for producers.

My suggestion is, if you see something peculiar check it against photos of known infections. I really don't see the benefit of nailing the diagnosis of a particular virus since all virus are terminal and the quicker you eliminate the threat the better. It may be a nice scientific study and over many years may help in identifying different virus but it could cost over $30 for the testing and if it is an obvious virus, the hosta has to go anyway. If it looks a little strange, keep an eye on it and post it here where people can give their opinion.

BUT, as you know, I do not recommend digging out HVX infected hosta and I would kill it with glyphosate and insure there is no small bit of living tissue left which can harbor HVX for over 2 years.

Jon

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jon, who has those big bucks to do all these tests? I will remove hostas which lhave a lot of virus type symptoms on most leaves and therefore are a danger to other hostas, Doing an HVX test only indicates if the hosta has HVX or another virus, and all viruses so it seems destroy hostas and spread. 'Dancing Queen', the seedling and f.'Albomarginata' will go. I will wait with 'August Moon' and 'Queen o.t.Sea' to fall.

This worked well with HVX for me : tape leaves, then dig out plant with soil, line the hole and put fresh soil in it. Plants and old soil go into garbage. In between each plant and hole the (virus) shovel gets washed with 10% bleach. Shovel needs to be rinsed well or it will rust. There also will be a clean shovel for fresh soil.

I have two hostas which are shrinking in spite of fresh soil, etc. they might go as well. So I am set.
    Bernd