SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
waterlover_gw

Help-Cheap&Easy Hydroponic Basics, Please!

waterlover
19 years ago

Hi,

I want to change over to hydroponics after a *really* bad spell with fungus gnats, but I really can't afford to do it if it's expensive. I've read that Pot Culture Hydroponics would let me use the pots I have now, fill them with a growing medium (I'd probably use pearlite,) and then I could feed them through the saucer they sit on or via a nylon wick. It seems that the most complicated/expensive part would be the nutrients.

Can anyone recommend the most affordable way to go about this, please? The plants I'd be switching over are all houseplants (lucky bamboo, african violets, croton, jade plant, dracenea.) I've grown plants (such as lucky bamboo and ivy) successfully in just plain water for most of my life, how much more complicated would Pot Culture Hydroponics be? Could I just feed my plants with their regular plant foods (african violet food and regular houseplant liquid fertilizer)? Are any of these plants impossible to grow hydroponically?

I'm really looking forward to your replies as I need to make this switch soon(either to fresh soil--yuck!--or to hydroponics)--in the next 3 days.

Thanks,

waterlover

Comments (6)