SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
specialmn1

Can we discuss full sun + water?

Mary4b
12 years ago

I've learned a lot on this forum and know that quite a few peeps here have entire hosta gardens in full sun.

I've decided to try it, and the garden I recently renovated is now full sun, well mulched. I watered like crazy while transplanting, and am still doing the same. I expected some burning from the transplanting, and I'm getting it.

But, in another garden, I lost a crabtree last year. This garden gets shaded from very large trees to the east and west. The only time they really get full sun now is maybe 12-1:30pm because there's a 10-15' opening in the canopy. We've had tons of rain this season and I haven't had to water that garden. I guess I should have this last week, as it was 98 degrees & sunny yesterday. This morning, my sum & substance and my shade fanfares have some crispy leaves...these plants were protected from that noon sun by that crabtree in year's past. With the crabtree in place, I did get sunburn on the south-facing S&S, but never on the north facing fanfares. They are scorched on their south side.

I'm on a learning curve this year. How much water do I need to give full-sun (and noon sun) plants to keep them from scorching, or is that an impossible task? Can the timing of the watering make a difference...ie, really ramped up in early morning to get through the day? How much water is enough? I am a deep waterer, not a quick sprayer. I'll often let a hose trickle on a plant for an hour or two and then move it to another, or I might leave a soaker hose on for hours at a time and then again a few days later. So far on the renovated garden, I've really just been placing my new ames magic watering can at the base of a hosta for a few hours at a time. (If you don't know that watering can, it's connected to the hose, so it's the same as just leaving a little sprinkler / hose at the base of the hosta.)

My soil is heavily amended, originally heavy clay, but is now very lovely, humusy & friable soil with excellent drainage.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES