SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Looking for 6 irises in 5 stuffed cans of landscape waste

It was a beautiful spring day. DH got ambitious and raked out all the front beds. On my treks back and forth to the back yard where I was carefully peeking under mulch to see who was waking up first, I saw 5 big garbage cans full of leaves and debris waiting for the landscape pickup. In the late afternoon, he left to do some grocery shopping and I strolled over to admire his handiwork.

And stopped dead in my tracksÂ.

Where were my new irises? The ones I saw just sprouting out yesterday? I planted 6 new ones in that bed last fall. I knew they did not have much time to root in, so I kept an eye on them all winter to nudge dirt or mulch over their roots whenever they got exposed. I was happy yesterday to see that all had made it through the winter, despite the late planting, and were sprouting bright green new tips.

I waited until he came back, hoping against hope that he would say he had moved them or something; and asked where the irises were. No such luck: he said, "What irises?" So I asked which can was the most likely one he had used for that bed, in the hopes of at least saving some time. He pointed out one and I got to work. No luck on the first, or the second, or the third. Boy, those were really packed. I sifted through it a handful at a time and it was really hard getting it back to the same volume. I found the tags and thought I was getting close, but no. It was not to be.

On the plus side: I did find several well sprouted hyacinths, some daffodils and the tops of quite a number of heuchera. So it was not all wasted effort. I think I was not meant to have iris in that bed.

Goodbye Superstition, Red at Night, and Jamaica: I hope somehow you will bloom in a composting landfill soon.

Comments (5)

Sponsored