SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trez_gw

Please help badly damaged very old Hydrangea

trez
16 years ago

I hope someone can help me save or attempt to save some 10' in dia. (or at least they were) hydrangea plants.

Were I live, a construction company is removing a home and in the back, there were some of the best looking, largest Hydrangeas I have ever seen. I badly wanted them for my wife as they are her favorite.

I talked with the foreman and he told me to come back after normal working hours and I could dig them up before they hauled them away in a dumpster. I got there right at quiting time as told and they had bulldozed them off at the ground level. All the trunks, stems and flower groups were on there way to the dump already. To say I was bummed is an understatement!!!

The root systems were somewhat intact but a good root ball was not possible. I took what I could and put the roots in water as soon as I got back from the site this evening about 20 minutes later.

Is there ANY hope of saving these plants from the bare roots? If so what should I do to give them the best chance. I know they may just be lost but I'm hopeful.

Please help if you can. For reference, these plants were in my home town in Oregon near Mt Hood before they were so rudely uprooted. The tops of the roots are 2-4" in dia. and the main branches of the root system are still there. I have 5 of them. HELLLLLLLLLLP!!!

Trez

Comments (7)