SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ptilda

New 'Accidental' Mutant Sport of Gold Standard

ptilda
14 years ago

I'm looking for advice from other Hosta enthusiasts who have had the fortune of finding a "new" hosta in their garden. About 4-5 years ago, I was dividing my Gold Standard & found a pathetic, wrinkled, sick-looking stem with 2 awful-looking, curled leaves, and a bit of root. I planted it, along with the other divisions, hoping that it would "straighten out". Well, it never did. So, now I have a one-of-a-kind (I believe) streaked/mottled Hosta that comes up faithfully every year, and that I love to watch grow and develop.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me feedback on the best thing to do about this plant. Should I just enjoy it? Should I get it registered? I have never divided it or shared it, and am quite hesitant to do so. I'm including photos of it from the past 2 years, as well as the "mother" plant.

BTW, the holes and "tears" in the leaves are normal for this plant. It comes up in a twist (sort of like a large-leafed "Praying Hands", and then opens up as you see in the photos. Pardon my cellphone photos. You might also be able to see that many of the veins carry the darker color, for a "zebra-stripe" effect.

{{gwi:1016811}}

{{gwi:1016812}}

Mama

Comments (22)