SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
versaron

Help in watering schedule on DIY Setup

versaron
9 years ago

Hello All
I've been searching online everywhere and can't find any answers to my question so I joined this site in hopes and gaining more information which I already have am thankful for but I still have a question I need answered.

I made my own Hydroponic setup making an ebb and flow system. After doing research I've read that routes like room to grow so I ended up using a 30 gallon plastic tote container with holes cut in the top which holds 6 inch net pots. I have the nets filled with hydroton pebbles and a rockwool cube with my tomatoes plants. I have another 30 gallon reservoir which feeds the plant tank and drains into the reservoir. I realize that I needed a bigger reservoir so my reservoir doesn't run dry so I added sterilized river stones into the bottom of my plant container to raise the water level. I had to put the fill valve 3 inches up from the bottom of the plant container do to the location I had to set it up at so there's always 3 inches of water in the bottom of the plant container.
I have it set up for the system to flood three times daily. As my plants started to grow I noticed that I'm starting to wilt in between flood cycles. The roots are hanging about 2 inches from the bottom of the net pots now. After doing more research I realized the way the roots are going to be suspended is pretty much a aeroponic set up and have read about the misters, sprinklers or foggers that needs to be installed with this type of set up and I don't have the money for it. It's about two weeks into flowering and they seem to be growing fine after I've increased the flood frequency to two extra times so five times a day now. The roots are getting plenty of oxygen so my question is is it okay to keep on doing what I'm doing and for the future do the same thing? My reservoir has two air stones in it and my PPM is at 1100. What would you recommend me do if I had to spend money or to keep it the same what frequency of floods would you do.? Since the roots aren't soaking and sitting for a period of time in the solution should my nute level the higher than normal because it seems it's growing kind of slow? My leaves are nice and green and my roots are nice and white. Thank you in advance and appreciate all the help you can give me.

Comment (1)