SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylama_gw

Foam Rubber as a growing medium? Newbie Questions!

amylama
19 years ago

Has anyone ever used/had success with using "craft store" foam rubber to start seeds?

I have NO stores in my area that sell hydroponic supplies. And I'm having a hard time visualizing the products to be able to make the choices that would work for me. So before I run off and buy a bunch of stuff online, I would love to know of things that you can buy "anywhere" that will work as substitutes.

The "foam rubber" idea (which may not be original) came because I think I would like to try the "oasis foam cubes" to start seeds with. But what are they, other than a square of foam with a pencil size hole cut in them? Can't I just make my own? Or is there something I'm missing?

Is there anything wrong with buying a PH test from the pet store (aquarium supplies)? And ph-up or ph-down from there? That last question (up/down) is a guess if they sell such a thing?

I have already found the WONDERFUL website made by Ed Varona (Thank You Ed for creating it and thank you forum members for posting it!). I plan on using his simple bubbler system that I will create out of a styrofoam cooler and stryrofoam cups. (I saw styrofoam coolers with lids at the "Everythings $1.00" store a few days ago, WHAT A DEAL!)

But any AND all buy "anywhere" items that anyone could suggest would be awesome!

I think the nutrients I will have to order no matter what, I do realize there are recipes, but as a beginner I think that would be more hassle than it would worth. BUT I STILL NEED HELP HERE TOO! THERE ARE JUST WAY TO DARN MANY TO CHOOSE FROM! Any suggestions? Something all-purpose?

I'm planning on growing fruits and veggies.... ALL OF THEM!!! Well..... I'll start with the easiest ones..... Then work my way up to the tators and watermelons ;o)

BUT I would prefer to start from seeds at the beginning. I'm already suffering from information-overload and will figure out cloneing/cuttings later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ed Varona's site for future readers!

Comments (36)