SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herb_gw

I think I'm giving up.....

Herb
19 years ago

.....on concrete lanterns. I'd stayed with concrete because I'd found hypertufa difficult to work with, but after giving it another try, it doesn't seem so difficult. I like the lighter weight and what looks (to me) like a weathered stone effect.

Image link:

Comments (5)

• Jando_1
    19 years ago

Herb you could have fooled me, this looks great. It does appear older looking, but it also looks more like stone.

Cheers Jando

• tim_moose
    19 years ago

I'd say that looks PDG (pretty darn good) Herb.

• kobold
    19 years ago

Hi Herb! all your lantern are fantastic. My hypertufa pieces are very weathered looking and moss can grow on them very fast in our wondreful liquid sunshine! What was you recipe for the hypertufa? I tried many different, your looks very nice. Andrea

• Herb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks everybody!

I haven't decided which mix I like best. Measured by volume I find 3 parts Vermiculite, 1 part sand, 1 part Portland cement & 1 1/2 parts water O.K. This gives a crumbly mix that barely sticks together when squeezed in my fist, and that has to be pushed into the mold.

What I absolutely avoid is a mix that's gone muddy.

I'm also going to try mixes with more Vermiculite. I think they may need a hint more water.

The next lantern's going to be between 12 and 14 inches high, but that's a few weeks away. I'm still working on the molds for it.

Here's a picture of a smaller one (about 10 inches high) sitting out in the garden waiting to see if it'll grow moss.

Small, hypertufa Misaki lantern

• Herb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sorry the picture in that last post got deleted. Here's a later version.
    This one's just over a foot high & it's made of 1 part Portland cement, 1 part peat moss, and 2 parts Vermiculite (all by volume). I've since put it somewhere shady and am waiting to see if it grows moss.

Click here to see it

Sponsored