SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pupillacharites

1st Crack at DIY organic hydro nutes

PupillaCharites
10 years ago

There are always organic hopeful hydro formulas floating around, but they just seem to fade away. denwa51 just did this interesting experiment with an uncommon commercial hydro-organic all in one fertilizer and it ended up somewhat encouraging and interesting.

His fertilizer if I'm remembering right, was 30% non-nitrate, non-ammonium and did not list urea but did talk about amino acids. The manufacturer refused to give me any info that would be helpful to prepare recipes without blindly following their two lines of one-size-fits-all bottles, so that was a dead end for me as far as buying something to experiment with since it is unclear what's in it.

A while back I bought a protein powder supplement made from natural hemp seeds, which is pretty common with green smoothie and even the body building communities. Unfortunately I tried with Mom who was on a liquid diet , but she didn't respond overwhelmingly favorably, and I wanted to be sure she enjoyed the taste of her food, so it's been in the freezer a while.

Instead of throwing it on a food scrap pile, this expensive stuff - I'm thinking - might be worth feeding to the plants. I think I'm going to hydrolyze it and filter it. The drawback is it is 50% fiber but that might filter out.

Even with the filler, the nitrogen value of this, in fertilizer terms, is nearly 10. Similarly, I estimated the whole NPK of what's in the bag as 10-4-3 and I have 3 pounds.

If I really get serious about trying, does anyone have any comments about this weird project at all? The idea would be to just replace 30% of the mineral hydro fertilizer nitrogen with this organic stuff nitrogen and see if it did better than 70% mineral fertilizer nitrogen strength alone. And I have no clue what I'm doing yet, but I can easily adjust/control the P & K with the 10 year supply of ingredient that are piled up doing nothing.

There are probably a lot of fish-water type good stuff that work, but I'm trying to break this down rather than play mad scientist and just mix a bunch of animal crap, getting quantifiable results on the stovetop basically. Is this a good plan? Comments or experience with anything resembling it?

This post was edited by PupillaCharites on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 15:44

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor