SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Rust nightmare on apples--now spreading

lpinkmountain
15 years ago

I had what I thought was a disease reistant crab apple in my yard, and also some torulosa juniper, don't know the species name, but Genus Juniperus. I have four of those. The crab was doing spectacular, but now it has a nightmare of an orange-red fungus. The folks at Cooperative Extension said it was cedar apple rust and I didn't need to treat it. But I thought the plant would just make the rust spots, I didn't know it would have those spore cases start protruding from the rust spots!! It looks nighmarish, the spots are everywhere on the plant, and now I have galls on the stems too. And the spore cases are attracting other bugs. The extension agent said I would see the galls on my juniper plants, but I don't, which leaves me to believe that the CRAB APPLE got the disease from other plants in the neighborhood and will now vector it into my juniper bushes.

Is there any hope for this crab apple at this point? I wish they had told me to treat the plant earlier at Cooperative Extension. I don't want it to vector the rust to other plants in the yard. I'm wondering whether to try and treat it or take it out. It was one of the nicest things in my small yard before this whole nightmare.

Any advice you can offer greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Lpink

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert