SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chicainco

What kind of bug is this in my compost?

chicainco
11 years ago

Hello Gardenweb.com posters,

I have a compost bin which I started a month ago on my balcony. About a week after I started it, I noticed these black bugs running around in it.

When I lift the bin top, I notice a few of them on the newpaper I keep on top of the compost to keep the fruit flies down, but as soon as the light hits them, they run for cover.

It seems to be two bugs connected at their tail end and it can run in either direction without having to turn its body around. It has wings on both parts of its body, but I've never seen it flying. This is a picture of it from the bottom. I wasn't able to take a picture of it from the top because its too fast. I was able to catch one in a clear plastic container and it seems to only stop running when it wedges itself into a groove on the container lid, which is where it is in the picture.

I searched extensively on the web for information about this bug (and/or pictures), but haven't been able to find out anything about it. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what it is, and if it should be in my compost.

Thanks, chicainco

Comments (9)